(EN) The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. (NL) Op brute wijze ving de schooljuf de quasi-kalme lynx. (CS) Nechť již hříšné saxofony ďáblů rozezvučí síň úděsnými tóny waltzu, tanga a quickstepu. (HU) Jó foxim és don Quijote húszwattos lámpánál ülve egy pár bűvös cipőt készít. (RO) Înjurând pițigăiat, zoofobul comandă vexat whisky și tequila. (RU) Разъяренный чтец эгоистично бьёт пятью жердями шустрого фехтовальщика. (BG) Огньове изгаряха с блуждаещи пламъци любовта човешка на Орфей. (SR) Фијуче ветар у шибљу, леди пасаже и куће иза њих и гунђа у оџацима. (EL) Ταχίστη αλώπηξ βαφής ψημένη γη, δρασκελίζει υπέρ νωθρού κυνός. Type your own text to test the font!
Veleka is a complete modification of Charis SIL (copyrighted (c) by SIL International, 1997-2014 under SIL license).
Although Charis SIL is intended to be a multilingual font it has some limitations, which were the reason of creating the Veleka font.
What is new in the Veleka v. 1.000?
1. There is a full support for Greek in the Unicode range uni0370 : uni03CE.
2. There are two models of Cyrillic for the range uni0410 : uniuni044F (Modern Bulgarian Cyrillic and Russian Traditional Cyrillic).
3. There are two ways to switch between the modern and traditional Cyrillic (either by using locl feature for Russin language, or by using Style Set 01 feature).
4. There is a full support for Open Type features: Latin All Caps (case + cpsp), Ligatures, Discretionary Ligatures, Fractions, Ordinals, Swash, Titling Alternates, Contextual Alternates, Small Caps, All Small Caps, Slashed Zero, Stylistic Set 01, Stylistic Set 02, Superscript/Superior, Subscript/Inferior, Numerator, Denominator, Proportional Oldstyle, Proportional Lining, Tabular Oldstyle, Tabular Lining, Default Figure Style.
5. There is a lot of new glyphs in all the main Unicode ranges: Latin, Greek, Cyrillic, IPA etc.
6. The glyphs are rearranged according to Unicode 9.0.
By downloading the Veleka font family here you have the chance to receive notifications for any updates or changes.
End User Licensing Agreement (EULA)
IMPORTANT! Please read the contents of this Licensing Agreement carefully before you install Stefan Peev’s fonts or software. This agreement defines your rights as an user of the fonts and/or software.
Copyright holder Stefan Peev: EULA
Aldus – le blog de livre numerique, depuis 2006: “Veleka is an excellent font for your e-readers.”
From Mind to Type: “In 1992 Bitstream donated a version of Charter to the X Consortium under terms that allowed the font to be modified and redistributed. This has resulted in several open source derivatives, including Charis SIL, an OpenType fork of it called Velleka and Michael Sharpe’s XCharter. Of all three, the one with the most OpenType features is Veleka: Charis SIL does not offer Small Caps, old style numerals nor sub-superscripts while the other two does, for example, and Veleka is the only one to offer arbitrary fractions.”
Une liseuse & des polices: “If we compare the traditional examples of text (which I put at the end of each article) of Charis SIL and Veleka, we note that Veleka seems to correct the problem of excessive interlining of Charis. This correction is to be confirmed on reading, but if this fact is confirmed, then Veleka brings a real plus.”
Adam Twardoch: Veleka is a part of Adam Twardoch’s collection of fonts: “This collection of open-source fonts includes only fonts that I (Adam Twardoch) personally consider valuable — either because they have an excellent design, large character sets, a large number of styles, or preferrably all of the above.”
Veleka in Use
СЛОВО.БГ: The site СЛОВО.БГ uses Veleka as a main font.
КАК СЕ ПИШЕ: The site КАК СЕ ПИШЕ uses Veleka as a main font.
Enthusiast Books: Хан Канг. Вегетарианката. София, 2020. Print edition (BG)
Donate to author:
Spread the love
Design, Publisher, Copyright
Design: Stefan Peev, Context Ltd
Publisher: Context Ltd
Copyright 2015 by Stefan Peev. All rights reserved.
Spread the love
Stefan Peev is a philologist, graphic designer and publisher in Bulgaria. He is the creator of fonts with a free license, which incorporates the Bulgarian form of Cyrillic. He is active in the field of historical typography. He prepares for the publication of several Old Bulgarian fonts, as well as digital replicas of the civic font, approved by the reform of Peter I in Russia in 1708-1710, as well as the handwriting of Vasil Levski and other historical figures.